On Court Leadership for the Modern Player
Being a former college basketball player and now a college basketball coach, I’ve seen many elements of what makes a player an “On-Court Leader”. Each coach/program might have different criteria they look for and not every leader will possess all of these characteristics.
I felt with our current age of player and social media craze, it was only appropriate to put a Tweet worthy list of characteristics together. So here they are, all in 140 characters or less, the list of 20 qualities that make up an on-court leader:
- An “On-Court Leader” leads the team in BODY CONTACT (High Fives/Fist Bumps)
- An “On-Court Leader” leads HUDDLES for his team (Free Throws/Dead Balls)
- An “On-Court Leader” is the first one to PICK A TEAMMATE UP off the court
- An “On-Court Leader” is the COACH'S VOICE during game action
- An “On-Court Leader” has positive BODY LANGUAGE from the tip; to the final whistle
- An “On-Court Leader” understands TIME and SCORE in all game situations
- An “On-Court Leader” can be CRITICIZED by his coaches and will GROW from it
- An “On-Court Leader” knows the GAMEPLAN as well as the coaching staff
- An “On-Court Leader” holds his teammates ACCOUNTABLE to their roles on the team
- An “On-Court Leader” COMPETES to win every possession
- An “On-Court Leader” RISES TO THE CHALLENGE of pressure situations
- An “On-Court Leader” only CARES ABOUT WINNING, disregarding personal performance
- An “On-Court Leader” has NO OFF SWITCH, whether on the court or sitting on the bench
- An “On-Court Leader” demonstrates TOUGHNESS through soreness, fatigue and adversity
- An “On-Court Leader” has earned his role through the HABITS and DAILY DISCIPLINE he brings to the team
- An “On-Court Leader” has the unique ability to act as a LIASON between his teammates and coaching staff
- An “On-Court Leader” is a STUDENT OF THE GAME
- An “On-Court Leader” doesn’t just lead on the court; they LEAD in the classroom, on-campus and in the community.
- An “On-Court Leader” stays HUMBLE at all times and GIVES CREDIT to his teammates and coaches
- An “On-Court Leader” enjoys THE PROCESS of preparation
About Brad Schmit
Brad Schmit is the Associate Head Coach at Montana State University-Billings where he has coached the last six seasons. He is also the owner and co-founder of Midwest Elite Basketball, which operates hundreds of satellite camps for high school programs across the country.
To learn more about Midwest Elite Basketball, click here. You can follow them on Twitter @MidwestEliteBB, on SnapChat at Midwest Elite Basketball or on Instagram at midwestelitebb
To learn more about Coach Schmit, click here. You can also connect by following him on Twitter @Coach_Schmit, sending him an email at email@example.com or calling him at 712-212-1144.